Compensation: $18- $20 hourly
Job Type: full-time
Application Instructions: email resume and cover letter to Christina Moore at [email protected]
Reports To: Director of Meal Services
Date: January 2022
If you are interested in leveraging your culinary expertise to compassionately serve our neighbors experiencing homelessness, you might be a perfect fit for this role. Among a team of skilled professional chefs, this hire will be responsible for ensuring that hot, nutritious meals are prepared and served at Shepherd’s Table 365 days a year. They will closely with the Program Assistant and Security Officers to provide a welcoming and safe environment for all our meal guests and volunteers. In addition, each Chef is responsible for assigning tasks to volunteers and maintaining a clean, healthy food service area at all times. They must follow all food service regulations and County health code requirements.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for meaningful work, serving others, and honoring the dignity of all people in addition to proven experience in food service.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Meal Preparation Service
- Work with the Director of Meal Services to plan weekly food menus
- Ensure hot, nutritious meals are prepared and served each day
- Provide food service coverage during regular scheduled service and in emergency situations, such as inclement weather
- Ensure meal guests receive warm hospitality with each meal
- Ensure that meal service policies are followed
- Ensure that the dining room is a safe and welcoming environment for meal guests and volunteers
- Help support security personnel during mealtimes
- Supervise or perform post-meal cleaning in kitchen, dining room, dish room and hallway
- Ensure that the kitchen/equipment/food/staff/volunteers are fully in compliance with health regulations during the shift
- Ensure that food deliveries are stored and rotated for current and future use.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the kitchen, dining room, dish room, kitchen prep room and all food service equipment
- Monitor and respond to Meal Program communications via the telephone and e-mail on a regular basis. Return calls and e-mails within 24-48 hours.
- Secure the building at the end of food service. Ensure no clients are in the building or on the grounds
- Capture stories and photo for newsletter and social media coverage
- Greet, supervise, assign duties, and support volunteers throughout the meal prep, service and clean-up
- Encourage volunteers to engage in other service and giving opportunities at Shepherd’s Table
- Perform all prep service and clean up duties in absence of volunteers
- Alongside the Director of Meal Services, engage in the community food rescue process in receiving and donating rescued food
- Receive, organize and rotate donations
- Ensure that health regulations are met at all times
- Support Shepherd’s Table fundraising efforts through participation in events, kitchen tours, media interviews and other ways as needed
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of food and safe food handling skills
- Knowledge of people experiencing poverty and homelessness
- Food safety knowledge
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Ability to supervise a team of paid and unpaid support staff including volunteers
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
Education and Experience
- High school diploma
- 3 years food service preparation experience
- Food safety certification or ability to acquire it within 30 days of employment
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the person(s) assigned to this job. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of normal responsibilities from time to time as needed.
Thank you for your interest in a career at Shepherd’s Table: sign up for our newsletter to stay up to date with future career opportunities.